Screens- Monsters or Manageable? with Mary from Not Before 7

This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure statement for more information.

Screens: Monsters or Manageable? with Mary

{EPISODE 19}

Screens- Monsters or Manageable? with Mary from Not Before 7 | The Homeschool Sisters Podcast

The sisters get questions about screens all the time! So in this episode, they’re phoning a friend- The amazing Mary Wilson from Not Before 7!

Mary has a great strategy in her home and she has found peace with this topic, so you’re going to love hearing what she has to say.

Cait and Kara chat with Mary about all the most common screen questions they receive: How much is too much How do you find balance between “learning” screen time and “play” screen time? Is technology a monster? Or manageable?

And finally, is homeschooling moving more toward technology? If so, how can we embrace that?

There is so much wisdom from Mary in this episode! It’s like a deep breath for worried parents!

LISTEN TO THE PODCAST:

THE HOMESCHOOL SISTERS3

Click on the above image to listen to the episode!

LINKS FROM THE EPISODE

You can follow Mary on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.

BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE HOMESCHOOL SISTERS

You can hang out with Cait and Kara on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.

TELL US: HOW DO YOU NAVIGATE screens in your homeschool? SHARE HERE!

8 thoughts on “Screens- Monsters or Manageable? with Mary from Not Before 7

1. Anne says:

So, I have to be honest here because I love you guys. I’ve found every single episode that you’ve done so far to be insightful and uplifting. This one wasn’t. This one had a feel of “I feel sort of vaguely guilty, resigned, and aimless about this issue so I’m going to interview someone who has REALLY minimal limits here but no guilt and then call it helpful.” It was kind of disappointing. I think the thing that stands out to me the most is a comment early on about how a child with minimal screen limits has no interest in playing with the toys that the rest of the siblings loved at that age. But that’s fine, because, it’s fine. It seemed to be an attitude of “the kids don’t want limits so I won’t place them because… .” I hope it was helpful to someone out there, truly, because all families are different–but this episode REALLY has a different feel to me than every other one I’ve listened to so far. I would really love to see you address it again with someone who has a different approach just for the contrast.

• Caitlin says:

Sorry you felt this way, Anne. I realize this is a tricky subject and there are lots of different ways to approach it. I personally enjoyed talking to Mary about this topic but certainly what works for one person may not work for another. Thanks for listening and sharing your feedback!

2. Lauren Sisson says:

I love this, I work from home and I let the kids watch Wild Kratts while I am working. At first I felt extremely guilty, But I’ve seen the facts my 5 year old spouts back at me, and Its gotten my 3 year old to play the Wild Kratt board game. Also, we reference our nature books to learn more about their favorite animals. I think when used appropriately it can be a great learning tool.

3. MaryEllen says:

Love your podcasts! I was wondering if you could expand on the bullet journal you mentioned in the podcast? Thanks!

4. Robin says:

I pretty much agree with the first comment here. I get so much info and inspiration from your podcasts but do feel like you deferred to someone who lets their kids do a lot of screen time and just lets it go. I know there are all kinds of parenting styles, but wish you had balanced this viewpoint with an alternative one. I do believe that each child is different and has different needs for media times, I just don’t thing the parent interviewed matches the philosophies I have been hearing in other podcasts and it was presented as she has the answers to screen time, which she clearly doesn’t. Anyways, I have loved every other episode, especially the ones that you share personal strifes, challenges or successes! That’s what separates you from others sharing…you are vulnerable in your sharing and I appreciate it!

• Caitlin says:

Thanks for your feedback, Robin! This is a tricky topic and we knew that going into it. I personally really enjoyed chatting with Mary and the conversation helped me to think about screens here, in our family. I realize that what works for one family won’t work for another. Thanks for listening!